Röntgen (X-Ray Vision) (Germany)

Röntgen (X-Ray Vision) (Germany)

Merry X-Mas to all the german readers and artists I discovered this year, I hope to meet many others in 2012 but, for now, please meet the talented mysterious X-Ray Vision guy ! …






Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

We would listen to some rock and roll, old punk rock, sixties soul, garage rock, stuff like that. Probably i would put on something by the beatles at some point, i like them a lot.

Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?

I'm 32 years of age and from hagen, germany. I work as a freelance graphic designer and i play in a band called „the separates“. That's how i got into this whole gigposters thing, printing posters for my own band.

When did you start drawing?

I don't think i ever really started drawing, i don't draw that much and i'm not really good at it. I scribble a lot while generating design ideas and layouts but unfortunately i'm not one of the guys that come up with killer illustrations just like that every time they take a short ride on the subway. I mean, i do draw if the job requires it but there are lots of people out there being much better and quicker than me when it comes to drawing.

Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I know both sides, the good old „get it going“ approach from taking part in punk rock, aswell as the benefits of expanded academic studies. That's a good combination, at least it was for me.

Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living?

i do my best to make a living from graphic design.

Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

No.

Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

I guess i was early influenced by rock and rock in general. I always dug the work of alan aldridge, art chantry, rick griffin, jamie reid (to name just a few) without even considering it being design. For me it was just the visual side of the music i grew up with. When i studied graphic design i dipped deep into design theory and that again was a major influence for me. I highly value otl aicher's thoughts on design for example.

What are the principal steps in your work?

For a rock poster? listen to the band's music, sketch my ideas, choose the one that fits the best, finish the artwork, realize that it's not half as good as i thought it was and start all over again. Then somewhere down the road i screenprint the poster and: ta-da!

Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

I use whatever tool i need to get the result i'm looking for. in most cases it's a mix of analog and digital technics that works fittingly.

How long does it take you to do a poster?

You can't tell that, it varies from poster to poster.

You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it?

I'm the wrong guy for a horse-water-sunset-painting for so many reasons ...

For which band have you already worked for?

Some of my more recent posters were for the new bomb turks, keelhaul and monster magnet.

For which band would you love to work?

Actually i already made the poster for „the band that i'd love to work for“. That was roky erickson. Roky's music really means a lot to me, so it can't get any better. but if i would have a free choice i would say iggy, of course! And billy bragg.

Do you choose the artists yourself?

Sometimes bands or promoters ask me if i can do a poster but mostly it's me who's after it.

What is the most difficult part in designing a poster?

Not to lose money.

Do you think you are part of a "Graphic Scene", if so who else?

i am a member of gigposters.com but i'm not that much an internet guy and so i don't really add something to that community. It's a great website, you can find lots of stuff and assistance there.

A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work , on the web or in real life?

Well, i was willing to put up a website for my rock posters for a long time but to be honest, i don't think i will ever come up with it. So all you can find on amazingxrayvision.com is a link to my profile on gigposters.com and an email-adress. By the way, feel free to shoot me a message! You can see my posters on http://gigposters.com/designerposters/42055/1_R%C3%B6ntgen.html and if you want to buy one please get in touch with me or visit http://www.luisposter.de/

The best praise you received lately?

I made a small print for my son's first birthday last year and the little guy was so crazy about it, he took it with him everywhere he went for quite a while. That was without any question the best response to my work i ever received.

What can we wish you for the future?

Physical and mental health.

Thanks for answering my questions and see you soon on the website !!

thank you, brother!

Aucun commentaire: